Mercier TherapyWhat is Mercier Therapy?
Mercier Therapy is a hands-on, pelvic visceral manipulation technique used to enhance pelvic health. The purpose of this gentle, yet effective therapy of the pelvis and pelvic organs is to ensure that the reproductive organs and surrounding structures are free from restrictions, and are well-nourished with blood flow. These are key factors to optimal pelvic health and function.
Mercier Therapy is beneficial for the following conditions:
- Support of natural fertility and IVF preparation
- Painful Menstruation
- Irregular Cycles
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Pelvic pain and menstrual cramps such as endometriosis
- Uterine fibroids
- Malpositioned uterus and ovaries
- Uterine prolapse
- Post-pelvic surgery
During the initial visit, your therapist will do a thorough intake of your current health concerns and history. Treatments are based on Mercier Therapy protocols, however, the therapist may include other non-Mercier techniques when necessary to ensure individualized treatment plans that best meet the needs of each client. A minimum of 6 sessions (1 session per week) of therapy is recommended in order to notice an improvement. Once the 6 sessions are complete, follow-up sessions are recommended every 4-8 weeks.
When Mercier Therapy should NOT be performed:
- During the IVF cycle and on the stimulation drugs (can be done prior or between)
- Within 6 weeks after abdominal or pelvic surgeries (Gentle Manual Lymph Drainage can be helpful)
- During menstruation with endometriosis
- Active or chronic pelvic inflammation and/or infection
- Active cancer
- In those women with an IUD